Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Re-root: Robin (WIP)

Dear dolly friends,

Some of you might be wondering what happened to me. Well, the dolls and I moved!

I haven't unpacked all of their stuff yet, but we're slowly getting settled in. I have the beading and sewing stations set up, so they know I'll be spoiling them again very soon.

(And so they're not complaining too terribly much about their bare book shelves. They have their priorities straight.)

In the meantime, I've been working on some re-roots. And because I have a camera with a phone for the very first time, I've decided to take some of my own photos, starting with a few works in progress. I've never been a gifted photographer, (understatement) but I'm happy with the way these turned out.

So without further ado, here's my progress on Robin, a Raven Symone Barbie doll. I took photos of her, along with a few of her friends, when we were snowed in recently. We were at a dog-sitting gig, so our options for backgrounds were limited, but we worked with what we had.

(Including blizzard lighting, which was pretty decent.)


Robin's hair was inspired by this gorgeous gal. I don't know who she is, but I love her attitude! And Robin's resemblance is pretty darn close, if you ask me.

I used another color, a very dark plum, on the underneath. Here's her hair in pigtails so you can see it better.


And here's how much I have left to do. As you can see, I have my work cut out for me! I love the color of this nylon hair, and I love how shiny and silky it is, but it's harder to work with than saran, so it takes a little longer.


But I'll finish her soon. Now that I've taken a break with some nice and easy saran projects, I'm ready to work on her again. And when she's finished, I can guarantee that nobody is going to confuse her with her twin sister Simone again.

(Yes, I bought two. What can I say? I love everything about the Raven Symone doll. I could easily buy five or six more and re-root them in every color of the rainbow. If only I had the money.)

And that concludes Robin's portion of the photo shoot. Coming up next is Vivian, one of my nice and easy saran projects. There might also be... one or two bird photos in the mix. Domingo Flamingo overheard that Robin was getting a re-root, and he was very excited to meet a pretty female bird.

*Sigh.* Poor Mingo.

Much love,

Sarah J Sequins

(And dolls)


6 comments:

  1. Looking good so far! The hair is similar to "Ice Cream" Fashionista, which I'd like to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, she really is similar to that Fashionista. I have that one, by the way, and she really is beautiful. Unfortunately, she's also a glue head. :(

      Delete
    2. I was afraid of that. But hey, that one will be just for looking and this new one will be for playing with the hair!

      Delete
  2. Glad to see a post from you, Sarah. The Raven doll is really pretty. Personally, I'm a sucker for that face sculpt. I love the color you chose for the re-root. So far so good. Looking forward to seeing the final result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, April! I'm also a sucker for that face sculpt. I can't get enough of her. <3

      Delete
  3. I love how your reroot looks like! I didn't even know there were That's so Raven dolls! Maybe they never got to my country.
    I have just discovered your blog on Fashion Doll Stylist blog list and I'm really enjoying it.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete