Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Re-root: Kyla

Thanks to Uncle John and his camera, I have another re-root to share!

This is Kyla, named after Kyla Pratt, one of my favorite voice actors. I bought her with her twin sister (still unnamed) off of eBay a few months ago, as an early holiday present to myself. She's a reproduction of the My Black Barbie doll from 1979.


She's modeling another of my favorite dresses, once again made out of Idea Store fabric. I love this fabric. The maroon matches her makeup perfectly, and it's more modern than most of the prints in my collection. Not a flower or a strawberry in sight!

Kyla is also wearing a necklace I made out of colored copper wire and seed beads. If I remember correctly, the purple wire was 20 gauge, and the black wire was 26 -- that's about the finest gauge I'll work with. The seed beads were around a size 15, but I can't be sure, because they were another Idea Store find. Possibly vintage, and quite tiny!

I wanted to do something a little different for Kyla's hair, so I gave her some red highlights on one side. Another difference is that I used the lock and loop method! I used to be exclusively a hand-knot gal, but now I alternate between the two, depending on what needs to be done.


I gave her very long hair, and I do not plan to bring scissors anywhere near it. I love the way it looks in the high ponytail, and I'm not someone who cares whether her doll's hair looks realistic. Besides, after a few years of short hair, I figured she needed a change.


Kyla lives in the Black and Red Room, i.e. the topmost shelf of my former book case, with her sister and several other dolls. She sits on a doll bed with a crazy quilt that I made in shades of, you guessed it, black and red. We have a running joke in my house that dolls can only enter the room if their clothing matches the decor, or if they are shirtless Ken dolls. I'm pretty sure it was Kyla who added the last part.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with her sister's hair. I'm leaning towards a copper color, but I reserve the right to change my mind at any time. With at least a dozen dolls whose hair color I have already chosen, I'll have plenty of time to think it over!

I'm so glad I could show Kyla off, and I can't wait to share another re-root. I may or may not ask Uncle John to take another doll photo next, since I also have a pair of ostriches who would love to be in the spotlight. One of them has a new... accessory... to show off. Let's just say, it keeps my simple boy from hurting himself.

Much love,

Sarah J Sequins

(And dolls)

4 comments:

  1. Is there a difference in the outcome when you use the lock and loop method vs. the hand-knot method?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great question!

      I notice that when I do the knot method, my knots can completely fill up the head if I'm not careful, which can give the doll a heavy head. This makes it really difficult to add more hair, like highlights, if i decide I want them. The needle gets stuck in all those knots and can even pull them out. With the loop method, I can add as much hair as I want, pretty much.

      Doing the hand knot is the best, in my opinion, for doing highlights. Or for using short pieces of hair, since the hair doesn't need to be folded in half the way it does with the loop method. I also like it for the part, since those hair holes are so close together and can often rip. Huge knots keep the hair plugs from falling out.

      Delete
  2. My goodness, you're good, Sarah!!!

    ReplyDelete